Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Piano Lesson 1

My first impression of this book was so different than what I had expected. When I read the title, The Piano Lesson I thought of sophistication, and elegance. However, the first pages of the book are almost the complete opposite of that. The language, especially the use of the word "niggers" is off-putting. Also, the characters seem to be unintelligent, repeating the same questions and answers over and over again. Although this takes place in the south, it is more vulgar than the present day south.

malnatia said...
Great insight. I also think that most of the characters aren't too intelligent. Rambling about watermelons ≠ a Yale scholarship.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your surprise about the book. I thought it was going to be different as well just based off the title. Maybe education, or lack of education opportunities for colored people will become important later on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the use of the word "nigger". And I like the way you said it was off-putting. You wouldn't think that a novel called /The Piano Lesson/ would have that word.

    ReplyDelete