Monday, December 13, 2010

Othello #4

"I: Will you think so? O: Think so, Iago? I: What, to kiss in private? O: An unauthorized kiss! I: Or to be naked with her friend in bed, an hour or more, not meaning any harm? O: Naked in bed, Iago, and not mean harm? It is hypocrisy against the devil" (4.1, lines 1-7).

This passage highlights Iago perfectly. In this section, he creates spiteful lies out of thin air. His malevolence is in full fury from this point on.  Iago doesn't just say it is bad, but rather turns his statements into questions, so Othello has to react. This passage is also important, because it is the leading into Othello's  first apparent epileptic seizure. His seizure adds another layer to his emotions. It is clear that it really effects his temperament, because if Shakespeare but this is, that it will have importance to the story. As the Moor is having his fit, Iago is telling Cassio how Othello "breaks out to savage madness" when is effected by epilepsy, further showing it effects his mood (4.1, l. 55).

On a side note, I am curious as to how Shakespeare created such an evil character. Iago's villainy is at an unimaginable level, almost supernatural. I wonder if he interacted with someone in his life who was similar to Iago's character.

Comment from Olivia's blog:
Great analysis! I agree, the conflict is rising at a rapid pace! Your comment is really what intrigued me, I was wondering the same thing. I am very curious why Othello is so quick to believe Iago and everything he is saying, with the lack of evidence. Also, on the flip side, he shows no trust in his just married wife, this is a major point the story hinges on, and it seems very unrealistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment