Sunday, December 12, 2010

Othello Characters + Actors

Othello:
"This fellow's of exceeding honesty,and know all qualities with a learned spirit, of human dealings" (3.3, p.   129).
"The servants of the Duke? And my lieutenant? The goodness of the night upon you, friends!"(1.2, p. 21).

Morgan Freeman is the obvious choice to play Othello. In my opinion, he is very strong in nature( and physique), and can convey his emotions very well. And also, he is one of the premier african-american actors, which is important because Othello is black.

Iago:
"Cassio, my lord? No, sure, I cannot think it, that he would steal away so guiltylike" (3.3, p. 113).
"I hate the Moor. My cause is hearted; thine hath no less reason. Let us be conjunctive in our revenge against him"(1.3, p. 53)

I think that William Dafoe would be the best actor for Iago's character. When I think of a villain, he is the first person to come to mind. His appearance also makes him seem more villainous. In the movie Spiderman, he played the Green Goblin, who was at first an honest character, and aligned with the protagonist, but then turned on him. This is much like what Iago is doing in this story.

Desdemona:
"Why, your lieutenant, Cassio. Good my lord, If I have any grace or power to move you, . . . I prithee call him back" ( 3.3, p. 113).
Othello - "Give me a living reason she's disloyal"(3.3, p. 141).

Evangeline Lilly would make a perfect Desdemona. This actor played the character Kate on Lost. Kate was strong, and stood up for what was right. I see a strong resemblance between the two characters, therefore I think Evangeline could play the part very well.

Emilia:
"I am glad I have found this napkin. ... My wayward husband hath a hundred times wooed me to steal it... I nothing but to please his fancy" ( 3.3, p. 133).
"If it be not for some purpose of import, give't me again. Poor lady, she'll run mad when she shall lack it" ( 3.3, p. 135).

Emilia is a weak character. Her love for Iago blinds her to what is right. Although she knows Desdemona loves the napkin, she steals it anyways only to please Iago. Angelina Jolie could play the part well. I also see a sense of villainy in her, as I do in Emilia.

From Blake's blog:

It's interesting we picked half of the same actors. Also, the quotes you picked highlight the characters well. Nice job.

No comments:

Post a Comment