Monday, February 6, 2012

Post #1

1) Of the three, the book that I enjoyed reading the most was Their Eyes Were Watching God. Although the dialect was difficult to comprehend initially, it was also the main reason why I enjoyed the novel. It was so unique and strange that it kept my interest. It also painted a good picture and showed, and didn't tell. The plot was not amazing, but was decent. Janie's progression went slowly from childhood to when she met the white man. However, after she met Jody and they started a new life, it was less cliche. With the introduction of Tea Cake, I was entertained. He was a relatable character, with a flaw shown early by stealing Janie's savings, but a second chance was granted.
2) 1984 was hard to get through for me. The setting was established well, but I still was not intrigued. The book had many detailed thoughts, but in my mind's eye, it was hard to connect to them. The totalitarian government was portrayed well, and might be what a modern day Soviet Union could look like. Although the author did a nice job intertwining some realistic elements with those that were absurd. Both Julia and O'Brien were mysterious, and initially they were very similar characters. When doublethink came up, I started using metacognition. I was disappointed that the novel ended in an anti-climactic fashion.
3) The Stranger was not my favorite, but also not terrible. It was rather dry, but in that sense it was also intriguing. Meursault's lack of emotions and general willingness to do things is appalling. He is such an individual, but in an way that is hard to relate to. I would focus on the characters. In what ways do the characters interact? What are the roles of the secondary characters (foil, mentor, etc.)? How do the characters change?

No comments:

Post a Comment