Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Post #3- Assonance

Assonance is defined by Webster's dictionary as the repetition of vowels without repetition of as consonants. Assonance is very similar to alliteration, but with using vowels rather than consonant sounds. Note that the letters do not have to be the same, but it is the sound that they make that is important. For example, brawn and gone. Just like alliteration, assonance is used to signify importance, especially in poems and prose.

From Their Eyes Were Watching God when the buzzards are talking to each other, "'What killed this man?'
The chorus answered, 'Bare, bare fat.'"

"Dead in the middle of Italy, little did we know that we riddled some middleman who didn't do diddily"- Big Pun, "Twinz"from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assonance

"on a proud round cloud in white high night" - E.E. Cummings from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assonance



2 comments:

  1. I really love that you used a quote from e.e. cummings, that man was a genius and I love his poetry. Also, I like that you pointed out that it doesn't have to be the same letter, as long as it sounds the same. That's good to know!
    Haha, another example could be, like, "Oh no! Olivia's so oblivious!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you used a cute cat. :) And I like your comparison you made between assonance and alliteration. Another example you could use might be "I tweet with my feet while I eat a beet."

    ReplyDelete